Monday, December 7, 2009

XMas and the Gig

Christmas time and the gigin's plenty. I am playing and going to play a lot of Christmas music this year. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
This past week got things going a little. I finished up the semester at Wake Forest on Tuesday.
Thursday 12/3 I played two things in Greensboro. The first was the first of 5 daytime dates in Hospitals. It's me Wiley Porter on Guitar and Wally West on Sax. We play all Christmas for a couple hours for employee parties. After that it's down to West Market Street Methodist church for a Jazz Nativity called Bending Towards the Light. I have been playing this for 12 years or so. It's fun. The band was good this year. It's 8 pieces. T-bone, Trumpet, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Piano, Drums, Percussion, Guitar and Bass. There is a choir, singers, dancers. It's quite a show. This was the rehearsal.
Friday I did a little trio with John Mochnick for a church Christmas dinner. Low key.
Saturday was another double header. I played the performance of "Bending Towards The Light". It went very well and was fun as usual. After that it was back to Winston-Salem for a night of playing for a Ballroom dancing societys annual party. Waltz, Tango, Cha Cha, Swing, Rhumba and everything. That was with Fred Pivetta and Wiley Sykes. It's like the Catskills sort of except everybody can dance pretty good. Sunday I played at an old folks home. This was in a more medical type setting. Everybody was kind of out of it but they liked it more then people think. Music gives people something to kind of hold on to. I have seen folks that can't remember their name remember all the words and melody to old standards. It's like an old friend that never leaves.

No comments: