Thursday, November 6, 2008

Speakeasy Jazz: Thanks For The Memories

The Speakeasy Jazz club in Winston-Salem has closed down for good. Six years is a pretty good run for a Jazz club in Winston-Salem. I have to say I think I win the prize for the most gigs played there. I played the weekly Wednesday open mic jazz jam night for 5 years, I think. Might have been four. The house band had a lot of different people in it over the years. Roberto OrihueIa-vibes host, Ken Rhodes-piano, Colin Tribby -drums and me on bass was the last group. Some others that I played there with in the house band were: Jim Hoyle-drums,Herb Stephens-guitar host, Wayne Smith-piano, Bill Jordan-guitar, Dave Fox-piano, Mike Collins-guitar, John Wilson-drums, Shirazette Tinnin-drums, Abdullah Rahman-drums, Max Wood-drums, Bob Sanger-piano, Melva Houston-Vocals host, Reggie Buie-piano, Steve Bowers-Sax/host, John Mochnick-piano, Everett Funch-drums, and more but I can't remember who. I saw all kinds of stuff come through that night. Great musicians and all other types. Sometimes I find it amazing what people will get up on stage and do. We never had butt-bongo night like we did at Leon's (r.i.p.) but that's probably all for the best. I think I did open mic there for 7 years. I played Speakeasy Jazz with my group the Matt Kendrick Unit quite a few times, 8 Upfront, Four For One , Ken Rhodes Trio, Roberto Oriheula, Melva Houston, Cle Thompson and many others. I will miss having a jazz club here in the Twin City. The Speakeasy was a very nice, good looking club with a good PA and a good piano (a rarity for sure). Over the years Connie And Heidi (the owners) worked tirelessly to make the place a success. The sound of the club improved yearly thanks to Connie's care and diligence. The food was good and the drinks strong. Heidi makes exceptional martinis. I don't how or why but she has the magic martini touch. Good beer was on tap also. Gaelic Ale and Oatmeal Porter plus Foothills brews.
The people that hung out there were very nice and I will miss seeing them on a regular basis. Love to all from this time in history. Thanks Connie and Heidi for the memories. Thanks for the work too. Clubs come and clubs go but the musicians always remember them even from way back when.
Video of Open Mic Night
Melva Houston-vocals Sammy Anflick-drums Dave Fox-piano Roberto Orihuelia-vibes Matt Kendrick-bass

11 comments:

Mike Sailors said...

damn. The Speakeasy was one of the only places in the area that you could work and have people listen to you! All the best to Connie and Heidi.

Mike Sailors

ALBERT said...

Matt,
This was a plus for the city. I enjoyed the time I wss there. The music was GREAT, the people also. Maybe we will get lucky and get a new club soon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Albert

Anonymous said...

To Matt and everyone else,
It was MY pleasure to share the stage, friendship and music with you guys at the Speakeasy. The only good thing I can say about the club closing is that at least friendships that started and continued there will be cast in stone for me. Bless Connie and Heidi for the old college try!
Roberto

Anonymous said...

I feel such sadness, I had some enjoyable moments there.

You Jazz musicians are my favorite people. Thank you for playing the music I love.

Many thanks to Connie and Heidi for making it possible.

Camilla

Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm extremely sad. Downtown won't be the same without you. I wish I would have spent more time there. If you ever go into business again please contact me.

eaa0204@yahoo.com

The best of luck!
Meykell

Anonymous said...

A while back, I took this fantastic lady on our first date. We went to West End Cafe for dinner and then to the SpeakEasy for entertainment and drinks afterward. We're married now. Our community has suffered a great loss. I've recommended SpeakEasy to hundreds of friends, acquaintances, strangers as THE place to go for the best live music the Triad has to offer. Damn shame they're gone.

Carly Dawn Kickslaw said...

I'm sorry to see it go. I havent lived here long, but loved the Speakeasy.

Death of a Speakeasy

Anonymous said...

Wow! I too enjoyed going to Speakeasy and when I saw Melva, Roberto and Larry "Q" there, I realized how much awesome talent the Triad has and more importantly, a location to share it openly. I am very sad Speakeasy is no more.

Why has it closed and can anything be done to re-open it with public/fan support?

Anonymous said...

I am totally shocked to hear that the doors have closed, there is no where else for me to enjoy great live Jazz music and Charlotte is somes to far to go during the week. Thank you Heidi and Connie for great times.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the first places that I visted back in July of 2005 with my boyfriend. Quickly we learned to appreciate the quaility of music, food & beverages that you would be served at the Speakeasy. Connie & Heidi were and are the bomb. Jazz music will never be the same in this one horse town until places like the Speakeasy are appreciated for what they bring, that being people with interested in music and having a good time while meeting others and enjoying the type of customer service & friendly atmosphere that Heidi and Connie provided.
Thanks for playing the music that Ed and I love.
Connie and Heidi you all are the best.
We love you both and wish you much health, happines & success now and in the future.

Anonymous said...

I am very saddened you have closed. My husband and I loved your place, and had planned to go tonight with out of town family. There is literally no place to go for great Jazz on a Saturday night. I wish our towns (Greensboro and Winston-Salem) had a greater appreciation for JAZZ. I certainly do. Our 14 year old son is a Tenor sax player, and I hope by the time he is an adult, JAZZ will be sought by all generations. I wish you Connie and Heidi the very best, and I hope to see you all open another place soon! Michelle B.