Sunday, June 29, 2008

Noise R Us

I was looking at a Myspace of trombonist Joe Bowie of Defunkt. The old downtown NYC band from the 70/80s. I suddenly had a flood of memories of a band I was in called Noise R Us. I joined that band in early 1979 I think or maybe 78 sometime.
The original line up was Lloyd Fonroff-Drums, Jim Matus-guitar, Mickey Ortiz-Vocals, Dave Sewelson-bari sax, George Bishop-tenor sax, Pablo Gebhardt-alto sax and Philip Johnston-soprano sax and me on bass. Our first gig was a Tier 3 in soho NYC. We opened for Luther Thomas and the Dazz band.
Joe Bowie is on this old 1980's compilation called "The Pulse of New York" (Glass Records) with Noise R Us. He and Charles Bobo Shaw were sitting in. It's a board tape made at Trax. The original Noise was something else. A big firestorm of Noise. What fun it was. I stayed in the band till the winter of 1980. Then John Lennon got killed and I left NYC because it upset me. But for about a year we didn't take any prisoners or make any apologies. I started going through all my old clippings and whatnot. Wow. I think I'll put a Noise Myspace up. 

<http://www.myspace.com/originalnoiserus>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is great. Too bad Myspace doesn't allow downloading. Would love to have these tracks on my phone. :(